Job Loss Qualifying Life Event

Losing your job can be very stressful. But you don't need to worry about losing your health coverage, too.

Even if you quit or were fired, you can buy an affordable plan to meet your needs. You also qualify for coverage if you lost your benefits because your employer stopped offering them, or your hours were decreased.

When can you apply for coverage?

Special enrollment

If you had a qualifying event, you may be eligible for special enrollment. This is your chance to change your current plan or buy a new one for the current year. Special enrollment can occur during or after open enrollment.

Application deadlines

You must apply within 60 days of the day your coverage ends. This means you can apply up to 60 days before your coverage ends, and up to 60 days after it ends. You'll want to apply as soon as possible to ensure that there won't be a gap in your coverage.

What do you need to apply?

Required documentation

You will need one of the following:

  • A letter from your employer with the date your coverage ended and why
  • A letter from your other health insurance company showing your coverage termination date
  • Proof of your prior qualifying health coverage within the last 60 days
  • Written verification from an agent or another health insurance company showing that your plan was canceled
  • Current and previous pay stubs showing the reduction in work hours that caused your loss of coverage
  • A letter from your COBRA administrator with the date your coverage ended and why

ID and method of payment

  • A social security number or tax ID number, and the date of birth for everyone who'll be covered by the plan
  • A credit card if you want to make your first payment

Enroll now

Our health plan advisors and agents can help you find and apply for the right plan to meet your needs and budget. They will also help you find out if you're eligible for a subsidy that lowers the cost of your plan.

Need help choosing a plan? Chat online. Call 1-855-237-3501.